In 2021, most North State residents know Mercy Medical Center Redding as a world-class hospital providing responsive, passionate care to its patients.
Many might not realize, however, that Mercy’s beginnings predate 1944, when the Sisters of Mercy of Auburn assumed ownership of St. Caroline’s Hospital in Redding and renamed it Mercy Hospital.
Dr. Ferdinand Stable opened St. Caroline’s Hospital (named after his wife) at Pine and Sacramento streets in 1907. The converted residence twice burned and the St. Caroline Sanitarium was built in 1910 and operated until the doctor’s passing.
The Sisters of Mercy took over the hospital and began to serve the needs of Redding and eight years later Sister Mary Joseph came from Sacramento to find a new site for a larger hospital. In 1952, ground was broken in Clairmont Heights, the current location, and was opened in 1953.
Since, Mercy Medical Center Redding has undergone upgrades, renovations and administration name changes and mergers, but the mission has remained the same – providing the best health care for the North State.
The upgrades have included a $6.5 million, 84,000-square foot expansion that added an Emergency Care Center, renovations of the administration wing and modern equipment for the Cancer Treatment Center. This first renovation was completed in 1975 and the hospital took the name Mercy Medical Center to reflect the fully expanded services offered.
A decade later, a $30 million project expanded the Oncology Department, remodeled the Pediatrics section as well as the Obstetrics unit and added a new Cardiac Care unit among other improvements. Additionally, the Clairmont Medical Building was purchased and converted into the 5,800-square foot Mercy Outpatient Surgical Center.
Three more upgrade projects between 1986 and 1997 added to the hospital’s prestige. A 10,000-square foot Regional Cancer Center, a new patient tower, larger Emergency Room and expanded Intensive Care Unit and a new Bone Marrow Transplant department continue to make Mercy Medical Center Redding a leader in healthcare in Northern California.
The hospital’s parent company has changed names from the Sisters of Mercy of Auburn and Sisters of Mercy in Burlingame to Catholic Healthcare West to Dignity Health and most recently known as CommonSpirit Health. But one thing has remained constant – top-notch healthcare and a compassionate spirit.